The Use of Bleach Bleach is a strong and effective disinfectant. Its active ingredient, sodium hypochlorite, denatures protein in micro-organisms and is therefore effective in killing bacteria, fungus and viruses. Household bleach works quickly and is widely available at a low cost. Diluted household bleach is thus recommended for the disinfection of facilities. As bleach irritates mucous membranes, the skin and the airway, decomposes under heat or light and reacts readily with other chemicals, caution should be exercised in the use of it. Improper use of bleach may reduce its effectiveness in disinfection and also lead to accidents which can be harmful to health. Overuse of bleach or using a bleach solution that is too concentrated results in the production of toxic substances that pollute the environment and disturb ecological balance.
Cleaning and Sanitizing with Bleach after an Emergency
To sanitize or disinfect in your home, you generally start with bleach and cool water in a bucket hot water decreases effectiveness. Wear rubber gloves to protect your hands. Make sure that you're using a bleach concentration appropriate for household rather than industrial use.
This is a great question. After washing, soak for at least 2 minutes in a solution of 2 teaspoons of bleach per 1 gallon of water, drain and air dry. Do not use on non-stainless steel, aluminum, silver, or chipped enamel. As to how long you can reasonably use the bleach solution for sanitizing, it depends on several factors, a big one being the quality of the water used to make the bleach solution.